Throwback Thursday: International Women's Day (Part 3)

Art works with the colour purple in them.


In keeping with the purple theme and International Women's Day, I thought I would share some art works featuring the colour purple.

So here goes.

This picture features a kitten and is kind of 'purplish' (more like a lilac or pale purple).  People often associate women with pussies (cats), they call the women's parts 'pussies', and in Norse literature, newly married women are given kittens as presents for fertility. 

A purple mud crab - This was taken at the Melbourne Aquarium and the lighting in this fish tank gave the crab a very eerie purple hue.  I doctored up the picture using Photoshop, using the art history brushes.

This is a closeup of a purple hot water bottle cover.  I loved the pattern and the mauve colour, as well as the texture.  I am not sure where I bought it from but I gave it to a friend for her birthday (I think).  Some might accuse me of what Christina Hoff Summers might call 'Fainting Couch Feminism', but there is nothing more comforting than something that is warm and fluffy, and the hot water bottle with a furry texture is just that - when there are times you could be in pain and nothing is nicer than being able to take a (pain killing) tablet, lay down, apply a heat pack or hot water bottle to the affected area; and is even nicer when it is fluffy.  And being able to cuddle your fluffy toys (like a teddy bear) or even sleep with your pets, it's even nicer.  So call me a sook (or a big baby) if you wish, but what the heck, I am a kid at heart after all.  😻
Happiness is a Bloody Nose: this one is fairly left of centre, and one could attach a particular narrative to it - one could associate it with domestic abuse, when you are battered and given a bloody nose (and you have to still put on a happy face).  However, the reality was that I suffered a nosebleed because I had a cold and the inside of my nostrils got a bit sore.  So, when I blew my nose, the marks left on the tissue resembled a smiley face.  I have two versions of this image: the original and the reverse (which is in this blog entry).



The name of this composition is 'Broken' and two of these (above) images come in the colour purple.  I love the 'space age' and 'new age' feel this image conjures up.  Also, for some reason, purple (when combined with black) is associated with 'witchiness' and women who may have some interest in the pagan belief systems.


A purple heart and kaleidoscope for Valentines Day: because most women I know like 'nice' things like romance and hearts. 💜💛💚💙💘💗💖💔💓💑🎔♡♥❣❤




Perhaps some of my LGBT+ friends might like to enlighten me on this, but why is purple associated with homosexuality?  If anyone has been following my Isn't it Wonderful comic strips and single panel gags, then you will notice that the colour purple appears in some of these images (like the ones above).  And some might argue that many people with this kind of sexual orientation are also highly creative and intelligent, and purple could be associated with this.  After all, they do do well in the arts, entertainment and academia.

So anyway, these are just a few examples of art work that I have done that include the colour purple; and I hope my dear readers enjoy this, alongside my many other works of art.

cheers,
Colleen

Comments

Popular Posts