Environmental Practices in Graphic Design

This is another topic I have just completed in my Diploma Course through Open Colleges:  The name for the topic is CUPRP504A Establish and maintain environmentally sustainable creative practice; the Assessment is 30528/01.  The task is to design a communication piece about establishing environmental practices in your workplace, and/or with your employer.

What is interesting is that I work for Australia Post, and our practices (when I say 'our practices', I mean the staff and management of Australia Post) is that with all this bruha about saving trees and paper, what it could well be doing is 'greenwashing' us out of our jobs.

Nevertheless, the postal industry has endeavoured to find ways around this: solar power (and other renewable sources) for electricity (so we can do our work and run any machinery or technology we use), biofuels (made from unwanted vegetable matter instead of petroleum), and above all - using recycled paper.

I am not employed as a designer with Australia Post, but they nevertheless have an Environmental Policy, which they have managed to (some extent), put into practice.  But even in my own home, I do as much as I can to save on electricity, water, paper and the like. Here are two screenshots of my 'environmental footprint'.




And furthermore, I have constructed this poster entirely out of recycled cardboard.

I then added a background which I drew in coloured pencil.  Still natural, but a little brighter and hopefully more interesting.

Anyway, I will continue this story in the next post.

cheers,
Colleen

Comments

Popular Posts