Back in the day - Bald Archies 2014 (8)

Entry dated: Friday, 22 November 2013

Over this past week, I had another idea - to portray Tony Abbot and his treasurer (is it still Peter Costello? Or is it now Joe Hockey?) as Captain Hook and Smee (from Peter Pan).  That meant looking up pirates, bucaneers and tall ships.  And Tony Abbot making Kevin Rudd walk the plank.

Had Labour still been in power and the in-fighting continued, I would have portrayed the characters in my painting as mutiny, as Julia Gillard being 'overthrown' by her party members (and/or the same thing happening to Kevin Rudd beforehand).  Would that be 'Mutiny on the (Labour) Bounty'?

Also, I want my 'sea' in my painting to look more like sea and was also looking at sailing ships in action for inspiration.

That then prompted me to look at pictures of the styles of sailing ships that pirates would have sailed in (during the olden days) - well, most people anyway, but I tend to mostly associate them with pirates.

One ship in particular that stood out in my mind was The Flying Cloud: this was a clipper ship with many sails (like a tall ship) and it held the record for being the fastest ship to sail between New York and San Francisco between the years of 1854 to 1989.

Why is it special?  I remember Uncle Joe having a print of it hanging on the wall of my Grandma's living room and even long after both Grandma and then Uncle Joe passed away, it still remained in the family's possession well until my parents retired and then moved to Tasmania.

Then my Dad had a copy of it as well - though it was much smaller.

And then he had a picture of it on his grave after he passed away.

So, yes, boats fascinate me - especially those tall ships.  I always wanted one when I was a kid, though I doubt very much it is likely to happen and I happen to win a lot of money or something.  But you never know?

cheers,
Night Owl

PS I am not sure as to which one my Uncle had, though I have a feeling it is most likely to be the one directly underneath.



Comments

Popular Posts