30537a - Progress challenge 05

30537a - Progress challenge 05

Industry trends portfolio

In this challenge, you will further develop and experiment with industry trends by creating a small portfolio of images that reflect the emerging trends identified in Progress challenge 4.
1.      Create a small portfolio of images (three to five) that reflect the industry trends you outlined earlier. You may choose to do a series of different takes on the same trend, or experiment with a different trend each time.
2.      Clearly label each image with the trend or trend variation that you are currently experimenting with:
a.   Outline the creative and commercial opportunities that working with each trend or trend element may bring you.
b.  For example, ‘If I continue to experiment with watercolour based images I could submit some of my work to Frankie magazine or have some images printed on silk scarves, as watercolour designs are a classic trope on silk scarves. My work would be a new twist on a classic trend.’
3.    List the ways in which you identified these trends, and positive habits you can form to be effortlessly kept up-to-date with emerging trends.
4.     Write a short response on how you would like to develop these trend responses, and how you see the integration of these new skills affecting your overall practice.
TIP: Navigate to the student forum to engage in the discussion with your peers.

SELF-CHECK - Submission B

Now that you have completed the progress challenge, you may submit your work for feedback and discussion.

Instructions

• Write 250 words and complete as a PDF.
• Navigate to the self-check page to submit.
TIP: If you choose to complete each progress challenge as you work through the module, the process of completing your assessment tasks will take a lot less time.

Answer

In Progress Challenge 04, I outlined my predictions on what I think will be cool and/or uncool for 2017. Let us recap on what they are:

a.       My predictions for ‘hot’: Inclusivity; Back to basics and ‘none more black’; new materials (for Nike’s shoes); Recycling; Augmented Reality; Retro; Black Magic[1].
b.      ‘Not’: Copying others; Being ‘basic’[2]; being ‘triggered’.

The idea of creating five images means these trends are the ‘pick of the bunch’:

A sense of humour

In times of stress, it is often a person’s best coping mechanism. 
v     Example 1: Triggly Puff vs. Milo Yianopoulis
v     Example 2: ‘Fart Rape’ – Let us just call farting what it is - ‘bad manners’! [3]

My 'portrait' of Donald Trump - like him or not, I happen to think he does have a sense of humour, even though his remarks about others (particularly women) can be easily misconstrued.  I just hope he doesn't take this illustration to heart and call me a 'pig' like he did with Rosie O'Donnell (though she did say some pretty bad things about his son too, who still happens to be a child himself), so I just hope they are both 'even Steven' now).
Basic (in this case) means 'dumb' and whoever left this on the seat of the trains is pretty dumb in my opinion (not only where they being 'basic' with this cup, but also leaving the rubbish behind for someone else to pick up.  And I have to hand it to them, at least they were smart enough to not get caught and cop a fine for littering on the train).  I took a picture of it and made this 'half tone' gag of the cup when I saw it on the train.

Recycling and new materials

Nike came up with a new idea of creating new sneakers that include both style and comfort.
v     Why not have dual-purpose shoes that are both good for jogging and for cleaning[4]?

Inclusiveness:

This is good when it encourages both women from particular backgrounds[5] and those of larger sizes[6] to adopt healthy habits like partaking in physical activity.

Basic Black and ‘Black Magic:

I based these on my interest in Heavy Metal music, my tendency to wear dark colours and a more recent interest in symbology.

Back to basics:

Two examples:

v     Example 1: sleek, uncluttered images;
v     Example 2: teaching/retraining people essential skills that may be lost or forgotten – examples include drawing, health and safety, and computer skills.

Being a cartoonist, I intend to keep up with these trends via the internet, the press, and animated film and TV.  I intend to develop those skills via online learning, watching TV, visiting museums and practicing my craft.

Below are my own Top (Fabulous) 5 Trends for this year. Enjoy!!!

This is me trying to be like Milo Yianopoulis

This is me trying to be like Donald Trump

My own take on the Nike shoes that have come out last year

Again, my take on sport and inclusiveness for plus size women and people of colour - in this instance, I am not only trying to plug my own designs and products but also the services of Fitness First and someone who works there.

I am what people make of me - good, neutral or bad.

My own lessons on 'Back to Basics'.





[1] Neturu Bookstore (2012): The History of the Devil, in YouTube, https://youtu.be/g8XQbqZUkms
[2] Keyser (2006): Top Definition - Basic, in Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Basic
[3] The Water Pipe (2013): Can a Fart be Misogynist?, https://thewaterpipe.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/can-a-fart-be-misogynist/
[4] For some reason, one of the shoe prototypes looks like the scissor brooms commonly used by cleaning staff (a friend of mine called them 'flaps' because they looked like the 'intimate parts' of women).  See Oates for more information – Oates (2017): SM-043 SCISSOR MOP MODACR.COMPLETE(1), in http://www.oates.com.au/ProductDisplay.aspx?Product=SM-043
[5] Smidt, R (2017): Nike is launching a hijab collection that Muslim athletes helped develop, in Buzz Feed, https://www.buzzfeed.com/remysmidt/nike-is-launching-a-hijab-collection-that-athletes-helped-to?bftw&utm_term=.bbynVmK3r#.dhpAOe30k
[6] Shop Style, 2017: Plus-sizes – Nike, https://www.shopstyle.com.au/browse/plus-sizes/nike

Comments

Popular Posts