30536a - Progress Challenge 03 (Part 1)

30536a – Progress Challenge 03

Complete pages, tests and handover

When your two core web pages are working, turn the bright.html page into a template or master document. Build two other destination pages based on this template. For this page choose your own destination towns (anywhere in Australia) and source/create all your own content. You may choose to use your own photography from your local area.
Create a short user questionnaire and ask five people to give you feedback about the site (keep screenshots), using a discussion tool of your choice. Are there any common themes or suggestions? Make necessary changes as indicated by the user trials and trainer feedback.
Test the site in three different browsers. Eliminate all bugs and validate scripting.
TIP: Navigate to the student forum to engage in the discussion with your peers.
Answer
The two other locations I had chosen were the Shoalhaven Region on the South Coast of NSW and the Claire Valley in South Australia
The trips would be in and around Ulladulla and the nearby National Parks, most of them being near Lake Conjola:
1.      The Walter Hood Ride[1];
2.      The Monument Beach Ride[2];
3.      The Heath Circuit[3].
Here are some videos – one of Lake Conjola generally (https://youtu.be/WbkfXozdPZY) and one of the Long Neck Run (https://youtu.be/VUYtewHzCUA).
I chose the Clare Valley because I regard it as a ‘gourmet delight’[4] and it is especially famous for its wineries.  Three well-known scenic rides are:
1.      The Riesling Trail;
2.      The Mawson Trail;
3.      The Rattler Trail.
In addition, you can see a scenic video here: https://youtu.be/uWes1AtwC_A, just to get an idea.  In addition, here is a video of people doing the Riesling Trail: https://youtu.be/rohTEGoUA_g;
I have also made the following changes to the website:
1.      Changed the colour scheme from one with earthy colours to a black and white one (which I believe is more ‘eye-catching’ and shows off the images in the best light).
2.      Updated the ‘Destination’ page.
3.      Added two pages for Claire (South Australia) and Ulladulla (NSW).
4.      Added a ‘Gallery’ page and more photographs;
5.      Added a ‘Contact’ page for any customer queries.
6.      Added some widgets to the Master page.
7.      Previewed it in both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.





I then tested the site on Business Catalyst. On Sunday, the 20th of November (2016), I administered a short survey on both the Open Space forum and on Facebook, hoping I would get at least five people to answer.

Survey by Colleen Sedgwick

I have just published this site to Business Catalyst: http://thegourmetcyclist05.businesscatalyst.com/index.html.
I want you all to check it out and answer this short survey.
v     What kind of audience do you think this site would attract?
v     Is the site engaging and interesting?
v     Is the site understandable?
v     Is the information on this site logical and coherent?
v     Is there sufficient information on this site for the customer to be able to make an informed decision?
v     Does the site meet all the needs of the client or customer?

I received no responses on the Open Space forum so far (Tuesday, 22 November 2016) but did receive one on Facebook by someone else doing the course, Ms Charlotte Boxall[5]:

Hi Colleen
Here is my feedback for your website.
v      What kind of audience do you think this site would attract?
Maybe people looking for cheap getaways of this type?
v      Is the site engaging and interesting?
The videos were engaging but I found the constant moving banners in several locations on the screen off-putting. Some of them moved too fast for me to be able to comfortably read the text that was offered. I also found the idea of having to clear to reveal each paragraph annoying as I just wanted to read the information without having to "find it" first.
v      Is the site understandable?
I felt that some parts of the site were difficult to understand - e.g. Bright, you say that you work with a local bike shop who offer self-guided tours, but then say that you offer guided tours using their electric bikes, which feels like you are in competition with them but then, on the other hand, not... There are also grammatical errors and other mistakes e.g. "We at The Gourmet Cyclist call is a 'Sea Food and Eat It' diet", plus others.
v      Is the information on this site logical and coherent?
I think the information is generally organised in a logical manner- it is clear from the menus how you need to navigate the information. 
v      Is there sufficient information on this site for the customer to be able to make an informed decision?
No, I don't think so - You have offered the names of the bike tracks which is great, but I don't think I could make a clear decision between the three places offered based on what is included on the website. In addition, you mention about different levels of fitness on the home page but then don't go into detail for each trail offered. 
v      Does the site meet all the needs of the client or customer?
I think you've made a great start, but that there are further refinements needed. I hope that helps and sorry I couldn't be more positive. Good luck! It's impressive, all the same, that you've managed to put that all together!

My reply:
Thanks, Charlotte Boxall, for that feedback. I was personally satisfied with it in myself (mainly because I felt the changes were an improvement on what the site was like originally). I chose to add compositions like a moving banner and accordion type widgets because I felt they added some elements of interest and surprise, respectively. However, I could understand why some viewers may find it annoying and/or distracting.

What is more interesting is that I have also had at least 57 people on Facebook see it on the forum, although only one person has actually given their feedback.



[4] Tour de Vines (2016): Gourmet Cycling Tours, http://tourdevines.com.au/tour/cycling-tour-south-australia/;
[5] Facebook (2016): CUV 50311 Diploma of Graphic Design Discussion Forum, https://www.facebook.com/groups/296307140494534/

Comments

Popular Posts