Create and manipulate complex layouts - Part 4

31187a – Progress Challenge 04

Evaluation and critiquing

By Colleen Sedgwick

This progress challenge requires you to provide evidence that you were able to use evaluation and critiquing in your publication project. As part of this, you need to seek feedback and ongoing communication from a peer or a friend, which may be through OpenSpace forums or other method. You must supply the following:
1. One scan or screenshot of a design deconstruction performed by yourself or your peer on a single page or spread of your brochure.
1.2 One scan or screenshot of a design deconstruction performed by yourself or your peer on a single page or spread of your travel guide.
1.3 A brief written report explaining how you were able to use reviewing and evaluation to improve and refine your publications.
TIP: Navigate to the student forum to engage in the discussion with your peers.

Answer

Screenshot of brochure



Sample screenshots of Travel Guide




Spread for 2nd and 3rd pages


Brief written statement

For this activity, I uploaded the front and back sections of my tri-fold brochure.
So far, the feedback and critique has been positive on the Open Space forum[1].
Re: ACTIVITY progress challenge 4
By Zamir Melamed - Monday, 6 June 2016, 07:26 AM

Hi Colleen
Your design looks cool, simple and very effective. Your choice of fonts is also great and the colours are good.
great work
Zamir

Re: ACTIVITY progress challenge 4
By COLLEEN SEDGWICK - Monday, 6 June 2016, 07:27 PM

Hi Zamir,
Thanks for that feedback - I am hoping the layout, colours and graphics look good because it is a coastal town and I like to think that is the image I am trying to portray.
I look forward to seeing yours as well.
Cheers,
Colleen
Re: ACTIVITY progress challenge 4
By Lakeia Mundine - Monday, 6 June 2016, 02:23 PM

Hi Colleen,

The layout is set out good, it’s colourful and the images and text communicates clearly what the town is all about.

The town looks interesting and the brochure looks great!

- Lakeia

Re: ACTIVITY progress challenge 4
By COLLEEN SEDGWICK - Monday, 6 June 2016, 07:35 PM

Thanks, Lakeia. I don't exactly come from the South Coast originally and have lived in Sydney for most of my life (except for a little while when I lived in Coffs Harbour) - so it wasn't until my parents (and then my sister and her family) moved there it had become so important to me, and conjures up many memories.
As well, I have made several family/road/camping trips down there before, so it was also important to me for that reason - but doubly important when your family moves down there and it becomes a home away from home on top of that smile
However, most importantly, it has a lot to offer for families, which I find, is important to share with everyone something I know first-hand.
Cheers,
Colleen
Getting positive feedback on my brochure meant I could use the same layout, text and colours for my travel guide.
On the Facebook forum[2], there were a few suggestions from someone as to what they liked (i.e. the layout and the Children’s activities section) and what I could change about my documents, particularly my Travel Guide (this included my typefaces and background image).
Hi there Colleen, well done on your travel guide and brochure. I had a look at the pages and your layout is nicely presented. Your maps and locations page it well presented and easy to follow. I've got a couple of suggestions

I would have a play around with some more fonts for your sub text. I feel like serif clashes with your script font a little too much.
On your content page I would remove the photo of you only because it doesn't really suit or make sense to have it there..... Your background image is causing your page to look to busy and I feel that it's making the information difficult to read.

I do like how you have placed your information in a frame by including the subtle drop shadow it give the some texture and depth. I think to continue on this you could perhaps reduce opacity / or remove the background image. You could maybe try water colour background or just a solid light blue... Your headings are not big enough either they are a bit too small and the stroke makes them really hard to read.
I like how you have included a mini kids activity book within the travel guide. this give your guide a point of difference.
Well done and I can't wait to see your travel guide in the next phase.
Unlike · Reply · 1 · 25 June at 18:08 · Edited
Hi Merische Harkins, I am pleased you like the layout of the documents as well as the children's activities. Though I am a bit confused - are you suggesting I use a sans-serif font instead for my body text? I also chose the heading and subheading font because felt it gave the document a 1970's beach-like vibe, as well as the background image of the wave (which I have been using since study period 2). Other suggestions like removing my photo - fair enough, I will take that on board if you wish :)
Like · Reply · 7 mins · Edited





[1] Open Colleges (2016): Open Space forum – Progress Challenge 4, in  https://learning.opencolleges.edu.au/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66811; viewed Monday, 6 June 2016 at 19:51;
[2] Facebook (2016): CUV50311 Diploma of Graphic Design (Discussion forum) in https://www.facebook.com/groups/296307140494534/; viewed Saturday, 2 July 2016 at 12:19:33 PM

Comments

Popular Posts