Haven't weighed in for a while

Hello Art Lovers (and Sedgie Art fans),

I have been off the radar for the past few weeks and have underwent quite a few trials and tribulations regarding my 'new' computer (the Dell Optiplex 780-2) had 'died' on me.  I found this out on Saturday, 30th of January (2016).  I was really looking forward to getting some work done that weekend and I didn't really get a chance to do much during that week because there were a few thunderstorms happening during that time.  So, when I switched on the computer, little did I know how much disappointment I would be in for when I found it wouldn't start up.

I thought, 'Oh okay, everything else seems to work' - that is, the other components (monitor, modem, mouse, keyboard and scanner/printer) all switched on, but not the main CPU/hard drive.

So, 2 days' later, I rang up some company that fixed up computers (in my location) - some people that I knew years' back, when the monitor of a previous computer that I owned (Compaq Presario) was on the blink - I found them very professional, quick and efficient, so I tried them again.  Luckily for me, the hard drive of the Dell Optiplex wasn't as difficult to carry as the monitor of the old Compaq (one of those 'old-school' cathode-ray tube ones which weighed a tonne) but nevertheless heavy enough.

Anyway, the diagnosis?  The motherboard (main circuitry of the 'puter) was completely damaged and the machine (which I had for just over a year) would have to be disposed of.

But luckily for me, the C drive was intact, as were the contents on it.  This meant my data was able to be salvaged and backed up on a portable hard drive (which I brought in).

So, in the meantime, I had to go back to using the old Dell Dimension 5150 but I was not able to install Adobe Creative Cloud.  This is a real setback I have to face because I was working hard at my course and powering through my assessment tasks and this has to happen and *ruin* everything.  Hence, I have a real lot of catching up to do :/

So not happy Jan!!!!  :P

So anyway, the upside to this was installing Google Chrome and being able to view the OpenSpace website and forum - and even better - I got all High Distinctions for my last three assignments.  So yes, I am happy with that!!!

More about that later...

cheers,
Colleen

Comments

Popular Posts