Copyright - Part 4

Progress Challenge 4: Copyright notice
Go back to the beginning of the course. Did you read the copyright notice? Did you even see it?
Get your creative, problem-solving design mind going and consider how you could design a copyright notice that would best serve to remind readers that they should respect copyrighted material. Post your thoughts and suggestions to the student forum and engage with your fellow learners.
Write max 150 words of your copyright notice.
Complete the above challenge and then click LINK 12 to upload.
Click LINK 13 to discuss your work with other students on the forum.
Answer
Here is the close-up of the Copyright notice on the screen. You can't really see it well unless you zoom in up close, and while I am unsure as to whether or not this is the original cover design, it is a very good rendition.

In the past, I have always put Copyright Notices on my works of art and have been doing so since 2010 (when I started the Cartooning and Illustration course back then). For instance, if I were to produce something this year (2015) then I would label my works accordingly: 2015 (c) Colleen Sedgwick; or 2015 (c) Sedgie Art
Illustration 1: Created for <insert company name here> by:
Another thing to do is to have a logo of my own, bearing the name Sedgie Art. In many of my YouTube clips, I have used this as a 'watermark' which will pop up when the viewer is watching it. It would look something like this:

Another notice to put up would be All Rights Reserved, as a way of attributing the work accordingly (especially in the case of using music that someone else may have created or using the logo of some company, so I would say 'Created by Colleen Sedgwick for <insert company name here>); or 'Images and text c/o Colleen Sedgwick'.
Even then, not all people understand fully the implications of Copyright law and often will use my images without my permission. For instance, I put up a profile image like this on my Google Plus profile:

And then someone used it to 'create' a meme that was something like this through Imgflip.com1:

I immediately reported the violation to Google+ and the person who created it got the shock of their life when they were found out.
Hence, I now should say:


Warning:
Please be advised that all uploaded documents, videos, images and texts are the property of Colleen Sedgwick and Sedgie Art, unless otherwise stated.
Severe penalities will apply to anyone caught illegally copying, distributing, reselling or sharing any of these files without my permission, and if I find out whoever has been doing it, I will have no hesitation whatsoever in turning you over to the authorities and letting them deal with it.
I will also accept no responsibility whatsoever what happens to you thereafter.
So please be nice to me and don't copy my stuff without asking and I will be nice to you and not dob you in. Deal?
(105 Words)

1https://imgflip.com/

Comments

Popular Posts